Lapland Tour

Friday the 25th of November as Rotary Exchange Students we had the privillege of embarking on a trip to Lapland/The Arctic Circle.

This by far is the most time pressed yet time extensive trip I've been on. In a 15 hour bus trip(it was more for others) we reached the North magical secluded town of Muonio on Saturday the 26th. With all formalities said and done and settling in our hotel lodge( Harriniva hotels). I set out to do a close to impossible task, getting to meet and know all of the 131 exchange Students that were there(especially the new inbounds that arrived in Autumn). It was a tough challenge as I'd frequently forget thier names or their home country. I dont know if that task was successful or not but it sure was fun. When the night progressed. We went to the outside camp and had our dinner there. A Finnish meal under the stars up North in Lapland couldnt get more Finnish than that, sitting around a fire and enjoying all the simple things.

The next morning we prepared for a day filled with Sami tradition.( The Sami people are the natives of Finland found mainly inthe North.) First order of the Day after eating breakfast as the young future leaders should do. We went out to go see huskies. Being the dog fanatic I am it was great seeing huskies in thier natural habitat feeling at home.  They looked so much more raw and natural than they do in other places. We then went on a Husky sled which was such a great experience. After the huskies we moved on to the reindeers. Where as we were waiting in line there was a fire tent where we could somewhat try to warm up. I ended up being too close the fire and I burnt my shoe. That however didnt stop me from just laughing it off and carrying on with the days shenanigans. After I had somewhat recovered from my shoes burn I finally went and got on the reindeer sledge. That as well was such a great once in a life time experience. After the sledge it was lunch time, one of the most important times of the day. We went out to a close by national Park and learnt about the nature of the North. We then learnt about the traditional lifestyle of the Sami people with yours truly modelling the the traditional Sami attire. We then went outside and had a great privillege of feeding reindeers. Which was such an unforgettable special experience. In the evening we had a Sami man come and tell us about the Culture and his life as Sami. Which then of course ended the night in a party.

The next day was Ski Day!! Went to a local ski Center and skiid the day away. In My case I chose snowboarding cause I had done it before and didnt want something new. After the first falls I had getting into the groove of it. I realised that All hope isnt lost with me. After the strainous skiing we went back to hotel to relax in the sauna which was very much needed. We after went to a local school to a Talent Show where each country had to perform something from their country's. Being the only South African was however tough. So I did what I knew and the circle of life.

Tuesday morning being the last Day of the trip was bitter Sweet. We were however excited to finally go meet the real Father Christmas. For those that dont know, Santa Claus is actually Finnish and I had the chance to meet him. But before we drove down to Rovaniemi to meet Santa, we went to the border of sweden and Finland and crossed it. It was so surreal walking across a bridge in a minute then suddenly you in another country. I've always wanted to go to Sweden and now I had the chance to finally do so. Went to the Santa Claus village in Rovaniemi the Capital City of Lapland. Meeting Santa was such a great experience felt like a child again and I also started believing in dreams once more. Surreal great experience being with Santa and his Elves, however we didnt see Mrs Santa Claus hope everything is OK between her and Santa.

We then had lunch in the City Center of Rovaniemi. Of course that was a tough moment because from there we had to say our goodbyes to people on different busses. Being in a room filled with tears and so much love. Goodbyes are never easy and I always hated them. Yet at times they for the best. I cant begin to explain how heartwrenching it was saying goodbye to some people cause it probably the last time of my exchange I saw some of them.

It then showed Me how much love the World needs
This trip was a great trip one that I cant forget or explain the feeling. But it was also a sad one as this was the last Rotary trip I went on as an exchange student.
Thank you so much to Rotary for this trip, to the hotel staff for the wonderful programme, to Rotex for coming with us. To my fellow exchange students for being great people to spend time with and laugh with. This was such a great time.
I came home at 4 am on Wednesday the 30th, but I can surely say it was all worth it.

In this trip I rode a reindeer, I fed a reindeer and I ate a reindeer. Thank goodness it wasnt the same one though.

Ensikertaaan
Kabelo Kable-o Mokgehle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labour Pains and Giving Birth.

100 Days