St Petersburg, Russia Tour

I've always had a fascination about the USSR its history and how it is now, more especially I was very fascinated with Russia its history and the present.

I recieved a great opportunity to go to St Petersburg Russia( the city that was the Capital of Russia before Moscow) on a Rotary tour. Needless to say St Petersburg has ALWAYS been one of the destinations on my travel list. I had the great privillege of being able to go and experience it for what it has to offer. Two Days before the departure I was facing some health problems with people asking me is it really necessary for me to go in My condition, and honestly I couldnt care how I felt this is Russia after all.

24 March 2016 the big day came bags packed, heart excited feeling a lot healthier and simply impatient to get going I finally left for Russia. It was so great meeting other Exchange Students (my oldies namely) and of course reuniting with my fellow newbies.
After countless stops at authority points checking our documentation, we finally crossed over the border to Russia.
Long bus trip till we reached the hotel and could finally settle down.

On Friday it all started very fast, viewing some buildings around the city and heading to the Winter Palace now Hermitage Museum filled with all artworks that Catherine The Great collected. The Museum being so big filled with PLENTY artworks that we didnt have time to see everything. The artworks collected were  so brutal and honest yet kind and sincere, it all became very overwhelming at a stage because everything there even the Wall is an artwork. After observing all the Art in such a beautiful Palace off to a quick lunch we went then to visit Peter The Greats Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography. This I believe is what showed the insane side of the Russian Tsar. Some of the works there considered to be quite grotesque. There was even a human section where remains of Dead babies, peoples heads and body parts thier skeletons were kept so greatly preserved. These of course were part of the tsars collection. Unfortunately we were not allowed to take pictures because it might ruin the quality and authenticity of the collection, to see the pictures do go onto the Museum website. The most shocking of that Museum was how when a French friend of Peter passed away he had is body cleaned out and now the mans heart and skeleton are also on display in the museum.
To end off the eventful day we went to go watch a ballet by the name of Giselle. It was an interesting experience however I dont like ballets so I hardly found it great.

Saturday was filled with sight seeing across many parts of St Petersburg and seeing so many buildings that were so intricately designed and carried a lot of history. Visiting places such as St Isaacs church and observing the Church Service  which was really interesting to see how a Russian Othordox Church opperates. We went to places such as St Nicholas Church and the place with ABSOLUTE beauty that stole my heart; The Church of the Saviour on spilled blood. That buildings needed nothing else but just to adore its beauty. Which also was very weird because a lot of random people asked to take pictures with me and Me being the kind person I am I agreed. We then had our freetime in the streets of St Petersburg to explore more and meet Russian people.
In the evening we went to go watch a Russian folk show. Words cant say how excited and happy I was to be seeing that show. It was a great feeling to be finally watching a Russian folk show in Russia.

Sunday came and we had to leave. I was so content with leaving because I had done it all and saw it all. It was a great experience to be there.

To Rotary thank you so so much for arranging this trip. It was too amazing for words.
To the Rotex thank you for trying to take care of us half the time.

To my fellow Exchange Students, getting to know was really great. You are such wonderful people with great personalities. You helped make this weekend a great one we wont forget. Thank you for it all.

Needless to say of all Passover weekends I had spent this one however different was still awesome. I still had a sense of growth and learning in so many ways. I am so greatful for this weekend

If I knew 14 years ago what I know now. When people ask me what I want to be when I grow up, I wouldve replied with; Tsar Peter The Great!!


Ensi kertaan


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labour Pains and Giving Birth.

100 Days

Lapland Tour