100 Days

100 DAYS

24 April 2016 marks me officially being on exchange for 100 day.

Without a doubt this has been a very eventful 100 days. So in this post I'll correct a few misconceptions about being here.

•No I am not on holiday. If it were a holiday there would be a lot of things I do differently handle differently and hardly care about. I however am here to learn and live. To build a life and for me to grow as a human.

•Living in someone's house is not as easy as it sounds. Settling in another country is is a challenge that can cause problems for a lot of people. What puts a spanner in the works is the reality of having to live with a family you hardly know. So far I've only had one host family that I really enjoy being with. That doesn't change the fact I hardly knew them before I moved here, I didn't know what makes them tick or what turns them on. Everything here is basically walking on eggshells. Simply because you know nothing about what to do or what's gonna happen.

Age doesn't really matter, you're still a baby when here. The main reason I say this is because you come into a new a society where everything is new and nothing makes sense. The biggest adjustment is with language. You come here thrown into the deep end not knowing what is being said or what is expected of you. Till today I just agree randomly to shop assistants simply because I'm afraid of saying the phrase "en puhu paljon Suomea" or that I don't speak Finnish. I find myself lost in the streets, lost in shopping centers and lost in conversation and sometimes scared to ask for help.

Yes I am an exchange student and I will be leaving soon. The fact that I am here for a while and will go back home in a given time that doesn't mean I don't want to know you. I want to know you and your story, I want to build a meaningful friendship with you. I know I am from a different cultural background and don't speak your language, that doesn't mean close me off. Moving to a place like this makes you wonder a lot more. Not everyone is open to relationships with an exchange student simply because some are scared of attachment, while some have given this negative connotation to being an exchange student that they don't get to know you.

The following is what makes a lot of people angry at me

No, I am not homesick. When asked if I miss home I always have to duvk around this question as to not seem heartless. So today I answer the question. I don't miss home. I am going through a lot here and experiencing something new almost each day. I don't have the time to miss home. I do however miss being understood, having conversation, I miss the being in the company of familiar people where just silence in each other's presence means a lot. These things are however things I intend on gaining in my life here. So I'm sorry I'm not able to say I miss you too when you say you miss me. It doesn't mean I don't appreciate you or love you any less, it just means my mind doesn't have enough time to reminisce about my life back home.

So here is to a Rollercoaster 100 days. To all the people I have met so far thank you making this time amazing. To my family and friends back home thank you very much for your support it means a lot to me. And once again Thanks to the Almighty God for keeping me until now.

Ensikertaan

Comments

  1. Hi King,

    Thank you so much for keeping us posted on your well being.

    I notice you face challenges there and there, but thanks be to God for His continual presence.

    I understand the not missing part, there is so much to focus on this life, especially being in a foreign, this doesn't mean you don't love or never loved.

    Anyway, be of good cheer, The earth is The Lord's and the fullness thereof. Your Father in heaven owns it!

    Congratulations for holding on to this far, given the overwhelming exposure you've been facing.
    I like how you sometimes get lost at malls etc etc. Though we stumble we never fall.

    Be blessed my King and will keep in contact!

    Best wishes,
    Thabiso for HOPFAN

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Labour Pains and Giving Birth.

Lapland Tour