Karkku Week best week yet

17th January a day after arrival in this wonderful country. I head off yet the airport to meet other exchange students and head off to Karrku for a week long orientation camp. It was amazing to meet other crazy people who took such a life changing decision. We were greeted by our 'Oldies' who wished us luck for the week and the year that's ahead of us. All of us came from relatively warm countries and had the same sentiments about the cold Nordic weather but we couldn't be happier.

As the week starts the temperature goes to a chilling minus 22 degrees. The week of learning began. We did various activities through out the week such as sauna along with avanto(which I didn't do cause when I got to the lake my body was freezing). I learnt how to ski and on Tuesday we went on hike to the forest and spent some time on the frozen lake. We had tour to the beautiful town of Tampere on Wednesday, and had a candle service at the Karkku church on Thursday. The highlight was our graduation from class with our 20 hours of exhausting language learning finished. We received our certificates and had our sense of achievement.
Friday evening we had our cosy night filled with various performances. I decided to do a rendition of lion king circle of life. With of course a birthday celebration for one of our fellow exchange students Cambell Wray.

Many of them met the respective host families on Saturday and with that great sense of excitement an element of sadness lingered as we were leaving each other. Both with the KEO students, staff our teachers and tutors the relationships we built in a week was amazing.

Me being the only African there made the week worth much more cause I got the chance to share about the African culture. Even when we were taking our country pictures being patriotic I was the only one with my flag singing the South African anthem and shosholoza looking like I was mad.

So from African Spunk I had a great week with my fellow exchange students. Ke le lakaletsa tse botse fela. Modimo a le hlonolofatse

Ensi kertaan...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Labour Pains and Giving Birth.

100 Days

Slowly yet rapidly ending...